I love my job - you know I do. I get a rush out of the littlest things: a new member, doing a presentation, literally seeing the lightbulb go off in someone's head or even updating my scoreboard.
But, some days, I need a push. I am lucky - rarely do I wake up and say "I don't want to go in to work today". But it happens. I get frustrated. Things take too long - or an idea I had flops when I was sure it wouldn't. Or, I work with an organization and I can't seem to help them "fix" it. And I feel my "sails deflate".
I don't need much to keep "my glass full". I truly enjoy the company of smart people who encourage me to stretch my thoughts and my perspective. And I work in an environment where convening is included in my job description.
So last week when I was feeling like my motor wasn't running at full speed, I knew I needed to be fed and was hungry for the opportunity to be in the company of people with new ideas. And I asked you all - Do You Need to Be Fed too?
And more than 50 of you said Yes!
As a result, we will be launching our new Executive Leadership Book Club in July. We are designing a user friendly, come when you can, in person or via the net opportunity to exchange ideas.
Our first book will be "Crucial Conversations". Look for an announcement soon!
Federal Charitable Deductions Are At Risk of Being Eliminated
With the increased focus on deficit reduction in Washington, emerging threats to the charitable deduction are becoming more pronounced. Independent Sector has created a one-pager that provides more information on the importance of these deductions.
Visit www.independentsector.org for more information.
Michigan Budget Impacts
Wondering if a state funding will be cut for your program? This website might shed some light, especially for Programs that effect children's funding, like education, Great Start, human services and community health.
Budget Basics - Voices for Michigan's Children
Our Fall Conference SAVE THE DATE!! Friday, November 4th
We are thrilled with how the lineup is coming along for our fall conference. The following speakers have already been confirmed:
- David Near, Near Consulting Group - Taking your Board to the Next Level
- Dan Robin, Nonprofit Enterprise at Work - Recruitment and Onboarding for an Engaged Board
- Diana Kern, Nonprofit Enterprise at Work - How to Engage your Board in Fundraising
- Jerry Pinney, Jerry Pinney & Associates - The Art of Leadership and The Five Dysfunctions of a Team
- Donna Mullins, Michigan Department of Human Services - Avoiding Communication Potholes
- Georgeann Herbert, Detroit Public TV - Storytelling
- Tamela Spicer, Consultant - Growing Exceptional Events
- Phil Wezenski, Toy House & Baby Too - Staff and Board Meetings that Everyone Wants to Attend
- Allison Treppa, Michigan Nonprofit Association - Creating a Communication Plan
- Dennis Dupre, Detroit Executive Service Corps - Nonprofit Finance and Oversight
- Liz Raduazzo, Jackson County ISD - Grantwriting
And we aren't done yet! Look for registration information to be available soon!